1. Who are you and where do you come from?
I am Anthea . I was born in South Africa and then moved to the Netherlands, the US and now the U.K.
2. How did your brand arrive into the world and where did the name come from?
The idea for my brand started from the difficulty I had sourcing unique, modern clothing for my little loves.
The name Kanstinator and Bear was born from my two littlest humans.
Kanyon, also known as the Kanstinator from the movie Terminator. He’s my first born, my heartbeat!
Bear is Broghan, our little Brogy bear. My little love bug. I get some serious mileage from him but he’s a keeper and I wouldn’t change him for the world.
My love of fashion started as a teenager when I worked for fashion stores. That then developed when I lived in the US whilst I studied fashion design at an all woman’s college ( Moore College of Arts and Design ) in Philadelphia . I guess it’s fair to say that this has played its part in where I am today.
Two children later and Boom - we put the names together and instantly knew it was the perfect fit for my new venture.
3. What are the biggest challenges you face as a small business?
The biggest challenges I face is this feeling of trepidation I have which is largely due to me trying to generate effective leads to attract people to my brand and building a buyer persona.
Then there’s me feeling like I’m spinning numerous plates and trying to tackle it all whilst still being a mum, a wife, working part -ime and running a home at the same time.
4. What have been your biggest HURRAH moments so far?
When I first started I was concerned how I would be received so when I realised I had sold my first 100 items I did a little happy dance!
5. If you could give 3 pieces of advice to yourself when you started out, what would it be?
Be a sponge, absorb everything.
Keep it simple and not over-complicate things.
The day you plant a seed is not the day it grows. Love this quote.
6. What are your long-term hopes and aims?
To one day have my own store.
7. If you could choose just one store for your clothes to be stocked in, who would it be and why?
I’ve not really thought about this one so I’m gonna go BIG and say Liberty London. Why not hey?
8. What’s the most common misconception when it comes to having your own business?
That I will work a four hour workweek and that I will control everything. I don’t, my customers do. Without them I will have zero success.
9. You’re granted 1 wish for your brand – what would it be?
I would like K&B to evolve and develop to the great idea it was and still is, to be a successful, sustainable business and to one day be an employer!
Haha dream BIG they said...
Find Anthea here at Kanstinator and Bear