1. Who are you and where do you come from?!
I'm Rachel, I'm from Sydney, Australia. I moved to London 8 years ago and met my husband, I had been living in Yorkshire until June when we relocated back to Australia for a year in the sunshine.
2. How did your brand arrive into the world and where did the name come from?
I had been making clothes for my son, Alexis and couldn't find any interesting and unique fabrics. So I began experimenting with block printing fabrics and its safe to say I loved it. So I'm now making hand printed blankets, cushions, quilts and absolutely loving it.
The name Little Beacon, was inspired about my english home, Yorkshire. There are man made rock formations called Beacons.
4. What have been your biggest HURRAH moments so far?
To be honest every time I sell a product or get asked to collaborate with another brand I'm so grateful they my dream is slowly becoming a reality.
5. If you could give 3 pieces of advice to yourself when you started out, what would it be?
Believe in yourself.
Don't rush, good things take time.
Keep learning & adding new skills to your bow.
6. What are your long-term hopes and aims?
I want to continue creating new designs, there are a lot more products on their way which I'm super excited about.
I have recently had my second child and I would love to be able to be at home with her. So if I can make Little Beacon fit in around her and her brother that would be the dream.
7. If you could choose just one store for your clothes to be stocked in, who would it be and why?
I'm already stocked in a few amazing shops which is so lovely! I really like Cissy Wears & Mama Owl, it would be crazy to see my products somewhere like that.
8. What’s the most common misconception when it comes to having your own business?
When I started I would talk myself out of it, saying things like "you can't do that you don't know enough about it" or "you can't do that you don't have a degree in design/business."
But that isn't the case, I have learnt so much from teaching myself. You can learn anything online.
So I guess the misconception is that you need to be an expert in everything before you start but you dont, you can learn as you go.
9. You’re granted 1 wish for your brand – what would it be?
More time!! I make everything to order, so extra time would be amazing!
10. What’s your favourite biscuit?