1. Who are you and where do you come from?!
I'm Ruth and I'm from sunny, seaside Brighton.
2. What do you do and why?
I very recently launched bettercup, a women's health brand selling ethically-made and beautifully-packaged menstrual cups. For each one sold we give one to a girl in need. Which is my why. My sister helped start, and now works at, a rural farm school in Zimbabwe and the idea came from wanting to provide the girls there with sustainable sanitary wear, enabling them to be in school and not worrying how they will get through their next period.
3. What are the biggest challenges you've faced in your career?
In terms of bettercup, I have made a mistake at EVERY turn. I have very much learnt on the job. I went to drama school and worked as an actress, I have zero experience in manufacturing, marketing, supply chain, branding (I could go on!) But I'm passionate about the problem and have always had a little niggle in the back of my head to start my own business. Every step really has been a big challenge whilst I learn what on earth I'm doing!
4. What have been your biggest HURRAH moments so far?
Launching the brand and selling enough menstrual cups to gift an entire year group within the first hour. Crazy!
5. If you could give 3 pieces of advice to yourself when you started out, what would it be?
Surround yourself with women that are cleverer than you.
There's space for everyone.
6. What are your long-term hopes and aims?
To see women around the world empowered and able to experience the safe, clean period they deserve.
7. Which 3 books would you recommend for: a long hour train journey (with no kids!) / a mood-lifter / a fact-finding mission (ie, non-fiction)?
Where The Crawdads sing/ The Flat Share/ Hardball For Women
8. What are the most common misconceptions you've found from having your own business?
That I know what I'm doing. ha!
9. You’re granted 1 wish (for you / your career) – what would it be?
I think just to find some sort of illusive work/family/fun balance!
10. What’s your favourite biscuit?
Oooo toughest question of them all! Either a chocolate digestive or Gingernut (dipped in tea)